Configuring Your Mac Mail
Note: Before you set up your Mac to get your mail you will need to follow this guide to make sure you've added the email account in your cPanel.
Setting Up Your Email Account in Mac Mail
To set up your email account in Mac Mail (for Mac OSX):
- Open the Mail Program.
- Click Mail, then Add Account.
- Click Add Other Mail Account from the list of choices and then click Continue.
- In the Add A Mail Account window that opens type in your name, your full email address and the password for that email account.
- Click Create.
- When a message pops up displaying Account must be manually configured go ahead and click Next.
- Click POP or IMAP.
POP3: When you use POP3 your email client accesses the mail server and sends your username and password. Then, it checks to see if there are new messages on the server and starts downloading them to your email client. In most cases your email client deletes the email off the server after downloading them so you don't keep old mail from taking up unnecessary space on the server. Sometimes, however, your client will leave the email on the server so you can access it from another email client on another computer or view it from Webmail.
IMAP: Using IMAP is a little different. You still use an email client, but instead of downloading the email from the server like POP3 the email client reads the email directly off the server and displays it in your client. You can then delete it or leave it there for the next time you are checking email.
- Fill out the Mail Server field.
Note: the mail server info will be your server name (if you aren't sure which server you are on you can check that here.)
- Fill out the User Name field with your full email address.
- Fill out the Password field and click Next.
- If a message pops up displaying The identity of __________.arvixe.com cannot be verified go ahead and click Connect.
- Fill out the Outgoing Mail Server Info text field.
Note: the SMTP Server is your server name (if you aren't sure which server you are on you can check that here.)
- Fill out the User Name field.
- Fill out the Password field then click Create.
At this point it should take you back to your inbox, where you should see the account you just created.